We started our data gathering with 2 main goals: identifying the main messages to convey in order to explain how the biodiversity can help the economic sustainability and understand how we could influence our target audience.
Keeping our goals in mind we did literature review to research about how to influence people and competitive analysis to identify what has been done in other countries and regions to increase environmental awareness.
We did field research with our main target groups (farmer, fishermen, locals and tourists) and used several HCI techniques that were combined according to the target and the information we needed to obtain.
After gathering the data, we started to analyze the data collected with each group in order to synthetize the main findings for each group.
We then focused on looking at how the groups interacted and influenced each other in order to understand the relations between the groups.
During this phase of the research we used HCI techniques to consolidate data such as: affinity diagraming to cluster the notes and modeling to synthetize the data and map cultural influences and the direct and indirect relation between target groups
Based on the data that we synthetized, we started to draw insights. Even though our user groups are very different, there are several touch points between them, and the same principle can be observed in different contexts in different user groups.
We also needed to take into consideration the main motivation of each of our target groups in order to appeal to what they value as we created a solution to address our problem:
Based on the information gathered during the research the team created the concept for the final product.
Our concept is based in 4 principles:
The team used an iterative designed technique and had 2 rounds of prototyping and testing of the product.
The 1st round of prototype and testing was done using a paper prototype and the main goal was to test the concept and the interaction for the webapp and the content in the set of playing cards
The 2nd round of prototype and testing was done using a medium fidelity prototype and the main goal was to test the design and the interaction for the webapp and the location of the information on the playing cards
The 3rd round of prototyping and testing was done using a high fidelity prototype and the main goal was to test the tutorial that explained to the users how the selection tool worked and the playability of the set of cards